Petitgrain is an essential oil that is extracted from the leaves and green twigs of the bitter orange tree (Citrus aurantium ssp. amara) via steam distillation.
Petitgrain oil, Paraguay, is soft, herbal and floral like the aroma of crushed orange leaves. Linalool notes make this a good oil for blending with Lavender.
It is great oil to use for convalescing after an illness and also for insomnia and helps to clear up a greasy skin, acne and excessive perspiration, while toning the skin.
See description below
It is non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing, but the smell of patchouli oil may be a little persistent for some people and large doses may cause loss of appetite in some individuals.
Petitgrain oil can help with nervous exhaustion and stress-related conditions and in particular anger and panic. It calms and soothes the mind, while relaxing the body, easing breathing, reducing rapid heart beat, relaxing muscle spasms and stomach pains.
The therapeutic properties of petitgrain are:
- “antiseptic” - of, relating to, or denoting substances that prevent the growth of disease-causing microorganisms.
- “anti-spasmodic” - Relieving or preventing spasms, especially of smooth muscle.
- “anti-depressant” – An agent used to treat clinical depression.
- “deodorant” - A substance applied to the skin to mask or suppress body odors.
- “sedative” - promoting calm or inducing sleep.
- “nervine” – A substance having a soothing or calming effect upon the nerves.